With winter temperatures quickly approaching it is time to pull out the sweaters, jackets and winter boots. It is also time get your house prepared for the cold weather. At Castle Peak Homes we are excited the 100 degree weather days are behind us. Here are some simple steps to implement that can save you the mess, money and aggravation of frozen pipes.
Before the Cold Weather Hits
- Disconnect any garden hoses and, if practical, use an indoor valve to shut off drain water from pipes leading to outside faucets. This reduces the chance of freezing in the short span of pope just inside the house. Use insulated freeze caps on the outside faucets.
When the Mercury Drops
- A trickle of hot and cold water might be all it takes to keep your pipes from freezing. Let warm water drip overnight, preferable from a faucet on an outside wall.
- Open cabinet door to allow heat to reach un-insulated pipes under sinks and appliances near exterior walls.
Before Leaving on Vacation
- Set the thermostat in your house no lower than 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
If Pipes Freeze
- Do not take chances. If you turn faucets and nothing comes out, leave the faucets turned on. If you detect that your water pipes have frozen and burst, turn off the water at the main shut-off valve in the house; leave the water faucets turned on (everyone in your family or household should know where the shut-off valve is located and how to operate it).
- Never try to thaw a pipe with a torch or other open flame. Water damage is preferable to burning down a house. You maybe be able to thaw a frozen pipe with the warm air from a hair dryer. Start by warming the pipe as close to the faucet as possible, working toward the coldest section of the pipe. Do not use electrical appliance in areas of standing water which could electrocute you.
- Check batteries in your fire and smoke detectors and check the exterior of your home to be sure that all weather-stripping is in place.
- Call 9-1-1, and proper utility servicers to report leaks, outages and emergency disconnections.
- Minor issues contact 817-840-1380
Castle Peak Homes wishes you a safe and warm winter season and we thank you for being a valued resident.